Donations generated by the sales of our cookbooks to date: $1,194,185.
Donation for palliative care at Battlefords hospital
“Just as the purchases of the Breast of Friends cookbooks enjoy the comfort from the great recipes, the book has also recently provided comfort to the patients and families of Battlefords Union Hospital’s Palliative Care Unit. Thanks to the generous donation from the Breast of Friends Cookbook Foundation, the Palliative Care Unit became the recipient of a new electric recliner accessible to meet both patients’ and families’ needs.
“The Palliative Care program supports patients and families who are facing life threatening conditions. The goal is to provide the necessary resources to guide both patients and families through this difficult journey. As most are aware, the hospital is generally not seen as a place of comfort. However with the addition of the oversized electric recliner, the atmosphere in one more of our comfort care suites is created which allows family to spend quality time with their loved ones. Their interest in Palliative Care and the community is greatly appreciated.”
Shannon Heintz, Nursing Unit Manager
Scott Parker, Palliative Care Coordinator
The books have generated donations all across the country. Among those of which we are most proud are contributions toward:
- Oncology unit, new Children’s Hospital (photo top right).
- Assessment Centres for diagnostics and treatment.
- Support and education to those who are newly diagnosed, and their families.
- Shuttle services between hospices and treatment centres.
- Action and advocacy groups supporting cancer patients and their families.
- Digital mammography and diagnostic equipment.
- Chemotherapy infusion pumps enabling people to receive treatment closer to home.
- Education kits that circulate to schools and health districts teaching young girls how to do breast self exams.
- New box springs and mattresses for a cancer lodge housing rural patients undergoing treatment (photo bottom right).
- A mobile mammogram machine that will service far northern communities.
- Prevention and screening centres.
- A research program examining life style choices and the effects on health.
- Look Good Feel Better program.
- Inspire Health Life program.
- Furniture and specialized beds for patient comfort.
- Third-world breast cancer clinics.
And more to come, with your help!